As one of the top siding companies in Springfield IL, we receive a lot of questions about residential siding maintenance, repair, and replacement. Below we’ll cover the answers to the most frequently asked questions:
1. How can property owners prepare for siding replacement in Springfield IL?
– Homeowners may want to remove anything from the walls on the inside of the home to ensure that nothing comes loose or falls off from the slight shifting/shaking throughout the removal and installation of the siding.
– Homeowners should trim any shrubs contacting the house to make it easier for staff to service the area without harming any landscape or shrubbery. Our staff will always be as mindful as feasible, however, damage to plants is often unavoidable.
2. How should I choose the color of my siding?
When it comes to choosing your siding color, a lot of clients try to find colors that compliment other exterior elements of their home and sometimes their neighbor’s homes. New siding will make a big difference in how a house looks, so homeowners should to pick a color that mirrors their personal and aesthetic preferences. For additional information on color options and or help with matching a shade, call us!
Please note that it is nearly impossible to match existing siding on a home. Even the same color will appear different due to fading that occurs on existing siding from weather and the elements. As such, we recommend replacing all of your siding except in cases of minor repairs to avoid color discrepancies.
3. What is the life expectancy of siding?
Depending on weather and climate conditions, vinyl siding can be expected to last 15-30 years with minimal maintenance required. Aluminum siding generally lasts 30 years with basic maintenance, including painting. As a licensed siding contractor in Springfield IL, our siding work comes with a warranty, the specifics of which depend upon the type and materials used. Be sure to ask about the type of warranty that comes with your new siding.
4. Does exterior siding require any type of upkeep?
Nothing on the exterior of a home will ever be maintenance-free but generally siding requires minimal maintenance, if anything at all. Vinyl exterior siding will require occasional pressure washing to remove build up of dirt and grime, whereas aluminum siding will likely require paint at some point. In order keep your exterior siding from aging prematurely, it is vital that your gutters function effectively and are run away from your house to ensure that water is not pouring down the sides, potentially penetrating your siding and aging it.
5. What is the most common type of exterior siding?
Vinyl siding is the most common type of siding found across the Midwest. Wood and aluminum siding are also available options.
6. Is it expensive to replace siding and how long does it take to do the job?
The cost of siding varies depending upon the type and amount needed. Vinyl siding tends to cost $2-$7 per square foot and takes anywhere between a few days to a week to replace. Small repairs and replacements may take less than a day.
7. Should you replace your windows when installing new siding?
While the best time to replace your windows is usually when you are replacing your siding, as this allows the most effective possible sealing and leak protection, it’s not absolutely necessary. If your windows are newer or not otherwise experiencing issues, they’re probably safe to leave. Expert siding contractors in Springfield IL, like Capital City, can advise on the best course of action for your window and siding depending upon your needs and budget.
8. Is new siding an good investment for my house?New siding is a great way to improve the look of your home and resale value. Whether you’re looking to spruce up your home or increase its value, new siding is a great option.